Out-of-State and International Patients
FACIAL COSMETIC & RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY FOR NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PATIENTS
The world is now a small place: we welcome patients from around the globe. We have treated cosmetic and reconstructive patients from most of the States in the USA and from many countries worldwide. We help our patients from the rest of the United States and our International patients in several ways:
- Video reviews of conditions can be arranged
- Photographs and clinical information can be e-mailed to us by the prospective patient or referring surgeon
- When Dr. Patel is lecturing or operating in other States or Countries, we can arrange for patients to meet and be examined by him
- As Dr. Patel has trained residents and fellows from many countries around the world, he can arrange for his prior fellows to see and examine you locally
Many patients will travel to be treated by us here as Utah is a well-known holiday destination with many beautiful recreation areas. Our links below will connect you to local hotels where many of our patients find it convenient to stay. If you let the hotels know you are coming to have surgery by us, they often have discounted promotional rates for our patients.
Although the world is now a much smaller place, certain political and physical changes have made it a less friendly place than of yore! We will make every effort to make your visit and stay as happy and comfortable as possible. To that end, international patients need to plan their visit well ahead of time. Once we have made a proper diagnosis and proposed a treatment plan, you will need written documentation from Dr. Patel to apply for visas to come to the United States for medical treatment. As the visa applications have become somewhat more onerous for certain countries,
please plan to apply for visas well ahead of your visit.
If you are an international surgeon visiting us, please ensure you have corresponded with Dr. Patel’s international division: the division arranges all itineraries well ahead of time. You may need to submit an application a year ahead of your desired visit. My academic office will ask you to send in your curruculum vitae, three references and a cover letter of the reason for your visit. A personal introduction by a surgeon trained by Dr. Patel is always helpful. We have a large group of “family of surgeons” now, scattered all over the globe. My fellows and ex-fellows maintain a healthy relationship via the internet and we frequently arrange to meet in many exotic locations around the world to operate, lecture, discuss or sail!
PATIENTS FROM THE REST OF THE UNITED STATES
It is much easier to arrange a visit and treatment for you! However, as certain procedures are booked out several months, please be patient as we help you with finding the best time to have your surgery. Certain times of the year are popular with all patients so please be aware that availability will vary! For patients coming into town for face and neck lifts, we have several of our patients who are very happy to share their experience, expectations and advice with you. If we put you in touch with one of these patients, they will be under strict advice not to convince you to have surgery, but just to share their experience. We have found that there are aspects of the postoperative period that only a patient who has been through the experience can describe. Many of our patients have found this discussion very helpful. Please don’t take advantage of the kindness of these people and please respect their time and their privacy.
Short on time? Simply send your enquiry here and we will get back to you with more information.
SENDING PHOTOGRAPHS FOR US TO REVIEW
It is always best to send photographs of the whole face and neck as shown in the montage below. Please ensure that someone else takes these photographs: selfies may be cute but are usually not very helpful!
Additionally, please send close-up photographs of the specific area of interest. As many of our patients have had several procedures before they see us, it is vital for you to obtain the original photographs prior to your surgeries and also any operation reports, medical reports and scans (on a disc, not just reports) so we have all the information we need. Most documents, other than the scans, can be e-mailed to us. Send the scans via mail or hand-carry them with you. We like to correspond with your local surgeons, so kindly bring their names and addresses as well. We are also happy to give advice to your local surgeon, if that saves you a trip!
HOW TO TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS
Although the best photographs are taken with an SLR camera, these days other digital cameras and cell phones also take excellent photographs. If your camera or cell phone allows you a setting called a “Macro” setting, please put the camera on that “Macro” setting.
No selfies! But comments help…
This is what she wanted. And she knew it!
We managed to help her and give her a nice long-term result.
STEP BY STEP
- Stand in front of a blue (light blue to Oxford blue are best) background (a towel or sheet will suffice)
- Have the photographer stand back to get the needed framing.
- You can use the flash but it is very helpful to take two sets: one with a flash and another without a flash but indirect light like light through a window or from a light from the side (but not behind you).
- All photographs must be taken with the face relaxed. When necessary, one photograph with you smiling but looking straight into the camera may be helpful, especially if trauma is involved.
- Keep your head level: no posing!
- When showing me your brows or eyelids, relax your brows.
- Close-up photos of brows and eyelids can be taken as shown in the second set below.
- If you are sending photographs for assessment for a face and neck lift, please send us photographs of yourself from the age of 18 onwards. In particular, if you have any photographs where you think “boy I looked great then!”, then please send us a copy of that photographs. We all look brilliant at 18 years, but ladies often look their best in their 30’s and in some cases at other ages.
Site of the “English Surgeon”. Dr. BCK Patel MD, FRCS, Salt Lake City, St. George, Layton, Orem, Mid-Town, London
www.englishsurgeon.com: Site of the “English Surgeon” website. Dr. BCK Patel MD, FRCS, Salt Lake City, St. George, Layton, Orem, Mid-Town, Utah; London, England
Originator of London Blepharoplasty, London Facelift, London Browlift, Patel Hammock Lift, SMURF Festoon Correction. Created by Patel Plastic Surgery